Monday, March 7, 2016

So Long Coffee, Hello Turmeric Latte

So-Long-Coffee-Hello-Turmeric-LatteIn the height of my residency training, I was up to 6 cups of coffee a day. Granted, at least once a week, I was awake for a forced-all-nighter, but I took any opportunity to refuel.

Long before I had my health awakening, I did a 3 day juice cleanse, which my reactive hypoglycemic self could barely survive, and I never touched coffee again. That was in 2007.

Since then, I’ve struggled with a replacement. Tea just doesn’t offer the ritual enjoyment that coffee did.

Then I met Dr. Nicholas Gonzalez, and he persuaded me that dehydration was an epidemic problem. He wrote about it here. I upped my filtered water intake to 8 glasses a day, felt great, and then winter hit, and I found myself longing for a comfort beverage.

Here’s what I have made a part of my morning routine – Turmeric Latte!

The most well-referenced healers of all spices, including for depression, I love this therapeutic food.

12778856_1299536930073360_6424252442184952023_o

How to do it – Tumeric Latte

It’s quick and easy to make, save for an upfront 10 minute prep of turmeric paste.

Combine 1 cup of water with 1/2 a cup of organic turmeric in a saucepan and heat on low for about 7 minutes, adding more water (up to 1 additional cup) if it becomes too dry.

Remove from heat and stir in 1/3 cup of unrefined organic coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil, and 1/2-1 tsp of black pepper.

Store this in a glass container in the fridge.

In the morning, put one teaspoon of paste in a mug, add a dash of cinnamon, cardamom, clove, a teaspoon or two of raw honey to about a 1/3 cup of almond/coconut/hemp milk (unsweetened Califia Farms is delicious if you don’t want to make your own!). Fill the rest of the mug with boiling water – I love this kettle – and stir!

On those days when you need a little more resiliency, toss in some sliced garlic if you dare!

The post So Long Coffee, Hello Turmeric Latte appeared first on Kelly Brogan MD.



from Kelly Brogan MD http://ift.tt/1X8fi1p

No comments:

Post a Comment